Land of Devastation is a role playing game for computer bulletin board systems. SuperVGA graphics are supported on both the sysop’s side of the connection and via a special remote terminal, on the user’s end as well. Platforms supported are DOS, DOS-DPMI, and OS/2.
LOD’s main features include:
- SVGA Graphics support, as well as ANSI and ASCII for non graphics users.
- Customizable Datasets – compile and release your own LOD dataset!
- Built in LGPL programming language allows dataset designers to create specialty devices and add specialty location.
- Multiple maps, many cities and unique locations to explore.
- Many different types of weapons and other items.
200MHZ and above machines required patched executables: lodfix1.zip.Apply the patch after you install the original LOD files.
|Letter||Filename (click to D/L)||Description||Required ?|
|A||LOD511A.ZIP||Documentation and misc text files||all installations|
|C||LOD511C.ZIP||SVGA Support Part 1 of 4||SVGA only|
|D1||LOD511D1.ZIP||SVGA Support Part 2 of 4||SVGA only|
|D2||LOD511D2.ZIP||SVGA Support Part 3 of 4||SVGA only|
|D3||LOD511D3.ZIP||SVGA Support Part 4 of 4||SVGA only|
|E||LOD511E.ZIP||Dataset creation editors||no|
|F||LOD511F.ZIP||MOD Music files||AUDIO only|
|G||LOD511G.ZIP||SVGA graphics kit||no|
|GTERM||GTERM511.ZIP||Remote graphical terminal (dos)||no|
|GTWIN||GTWIN511.ZIP||Remote graphical terminal (windows)||no|
LOD Runtime 200 Errors
The problem has to do with the Borland Pascal compiler which was used to write LOD. It works fine for all slow PC’s, but fails for any machine with a CPU of about 200Mhz or greater, and thus a ton of old software has failed as the faster machines have become popular, including LOD.
I have applied a patch to all of the executables, which you may download as lodfix1.zip. I have not been able to extensively test the patch.
I’m also now working on an Internet version of LOD, completely rewritten in ‘C’. I hope to have it fully functional by June, 2000 and maybe beta versions as early as january or february.
Other LOD-Related pages:
- Dave Rosson Dave Rosson is a chief contributor of graphics for LOD and the editor of the LOD newsletter.
- Monster Guide LOD Interactive Monster Guide.
- User Documentation Player docs in HTML format.
The old ‘reglook’ system is offline indefinitely. If you’d like your old LOD registration code, then please send me an email by using the contact page.